Monday, June 18, 2012

Rooney Mara, As Lisbeth Salander, Does Entertainment Weekly Magazine

Actress Rooney Mara can currently be seen in movie theaters here in the US (and around the world) as the anti-heroine Lisbeth Salander in the David Fincher-directed film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This week, she can also be seen on the cover of the new issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine. The Salander character [...]

Last night David and I met up with our dear, dear friends Emma and Josh for a dinner and movie date … which was LONG overdue. I hadn’t been able to hang out with Emma or Josh since Hallowe’en, and that is the longest we’ve gone without seeing one another since we met a couple of years ago. It was really fun getting to see those two again, David and I love them so much. We dined at Hugo’s in West Hollywood and then Emma, David and I made our way to the ArcLight in Hollywood to see Angelina Jolie‘s directorial debut film In the Land of Blood & Honey … which, I’m happy to report, we all liked.




It should go without saying that Blood & Honey is a difficult film to watch. Set during the Bosnian war of the 90s, Blood & Honey tells the tale of a couple involved in a brief pre-war relationship and their interactions with one another post-war … in a Serbian rape camp. Yes, the subject matter is heavy but the film does tell a compelling story. I wouldn’t say it’s a love story, per se, even tho the central couple have a love affair. I suppose you could call Blood & Honey a war film but for the most part, the audience isn’t really informed of the causes of the war itself. If I have one complaint about the film, it’s that the viewer isn’t given any information as to the circumstances that led up to the start of the war … nor is there really a clear conclusion as to the end of the war. The only focus is on the central characters Ajla (played by Zana Marjanovic) and Danijel (played by Goran Kostic). I don’t think it’s of any surprise that their story is a tragic one and, to be honest, I had a hard time knowing what to feel for the two of them. I found it difficult to root for them as a couple or to find happiness in the moments they get to spend together because of the grossly unfair power disparity between the two of them. There are many painful scenes to witness in this film … but those very scenes are powerful and compelling. I generally liked this film and would recommend it to others … but I don’t think it’s something that I need to see again. If anything, it has inspired me to seek out more information on the events surrounding the Bosnian war in order to learn what the film left out. As far as Angelina Jolie‘s script and direction, I’d say she did a fine job with both. The direction seemed stronger for me but the script was fine. I think Jolie has the ability to become an excellent director. Judging by her first film, she deffo has the talent to become great.


I’m not sure what the plan is for tonight. David and I are thinking about seeing another film (mainly because there are so many good films to see that we’d like to see before year’s end) but we may just stay in together. It’s almost the weekend, y’all. It’s almost New Year’s EVE! Oy, where has the time gone?




ezine advertising
A fresh perspective on information
Vermont snowmobiling
renovation maison ancienne
produits cosmetiques bio

No comments:

Post a Comment